Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long does it usually take to become a stockbroker?

Afternoon,

I'm due to finish my university course in July and I've been thinking a lot recently about becoming a stockbroker. I know it's going to be really hard work and take a lot of further studying but I'm not sure how long the process would take.

I assume if I was training I wouldn't be able to work at the same time? For example, if I was lucky enough to get a placement with a stockbrokering firm and they were showing me the ropes, would I be allowed to actually execute my own trades? Would I be able to advise clients on which stocks and shares to buy?

My instincy is that I wouldn'y be allowed to do this because I wouldn't be FSA regulated or hold and sort of financial advisor qualifications or licences. If however it was going to take 5 years to become a stockbroker then surely at some point my employer would let me get my hands dirty and buy and sell a few stocks?

I've seen courses online that advertise you can become a stockbroker in as little as six months but that doesn't sound right to me as there are lots of exams and tests aren't there.

Is anyone else learning to become a broker and if so, how long do you think it will take?

Thank you in advance.